Recipe: Vegan Blueberry Coconut Muffins
Vegan Blueberry Coconut Muffins
These are probably the best muffins I’ve ever made! The topping is to die for! I preferred them the next day at room temp vs. warm straight from the oven, but they were delicious both ways. The topping has such great melt-in-your-mouth texture at room temp due to the coconut oil.
Makes 12 Muffins
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tbs + 3/4 cup flour
2 tbs + 1/4 cup brown sugar
5 tbs chopped macadamia nuts, divided
2 tbs coconut oil, melted, divided
1 c whole wheat flour (ww pastry flour would be perfect, but I didn’t have any)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tbs ground flax dissolved in 4 tbs water
3/4 cup soy buttermilk (mix 3 tsp of white vinegar in 3/4 cup soy milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
2 tbs nonhydrogenated shortening, melted
- Preheat oven to 400. Coat muffin pan with cooking spray or use muffin liners
- Combine coconut, 2 tbs flour, 2 tbs brown sugar, 2 tbs macadamia nuts in a small bowl. Drizzle with 1 tbs melted coconut oil. Stir until combined and set aside. This is your topping.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together remaining flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk brown sugar, 1 tbs melted coconut oil, flax/water mixture, soy buttermilk, melted shortening and vanilla.
- Make well in dry ingredients and add wet. Stir until just combined. Add blueberries and the rest of the macadamia nuts. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon into muffin pan using 1/4 cup measure. Sprinkle with the coconut/macadamia topping mixture.
- Bake until golden brown. About 20-22 minutes. When a toothpick comes out clean, they’re done
This final photo doesn’t do them any justice. They are so incredibly good! They are pretty low in fat as well, considering there is only 4 tbs of fat plus the nuts and coconut in the entire batch. They freeze well, so don’t let that stop you from making them!
Please let me know if you try these and what you think!